Cheerleading Association (Singapore) (CAS), a member under the International Cheer Union (ICU), enforces the following requirements for all cheerleading coaches in Singapore in order to be recognized as a coach under CAS:
- CAS Category A, B or C Coaching Certification (see below for more details)
- American Association of Cheerleading Coaches & Administrators (AACCA) Spirit Safety Certification Program
- Standard First Aid Certification
All coaches must possess the above mentioned certifications in order to take part in CAS competitions in 2016.
The CAS Coaching Certification accreditation and pathway is shown in the diagram below:
- CPE: Coaching Practical Experience
- All main coaches are to be at least 21 years of age in the year of certification
In order to coach Primary Schools, coaches are required to possess minimum CAS Cat A Coaching Certification . To qualify for a Cat B Coaching Certification required to coach Secondary Schools, coaches are required to clock at least 30 hours of CPE for Cat A within three (3) years upon obtaining the Cat A Coaching Certification. Similarly, coaches are required to clock at least 30 hours of CPE for Cat B within three (3) years upon obtaining the Cat B Coaching Certification in order to be eligible for Cat C Coaching Certification required to coach Tertiary Institutions and Open Elite/Premier Teams.
All CPE is to be validated by schools/community centres/gym owners etc that the Coach is coaching at.
Please note that the online course for AACCA Spirit Safety Certification Program can now be accessed here (select “Outside USA”under the “Please Select Your State” tab).
The cost of the certifications are as follows:
|CAS Cat A Coaching Certification||S$250||Three (3) years|
|CAS Cat B Coaching Certification||S$250||Three (3) years|
|CAS Cat C Coaching Certification||S$300||Three (3) years|
|AACCA Spirit Safety Certification Program||Please refer to website
(select “Outside USA”under the “Please Select Your State” tab)
|Three (3) years|
As an intermittent measure to progress existing coaches in Singapore within these two years, the following policy will be adopted:
For all existing coaches who are coaching at Cat C level (i.e. in tertiary institutions or open teams) without possessing the corresponding CAS Coaching Certification, you will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis to directly qualify for CAS Cat C Coaching Certification course IF the following conditions are met:
- You possess at least three (3) years of coaching experience in Cat C level
- You must complete and pass both CAS Cat A and Cat B Coaching Certification (without the need to clock Cat A and B CPE hours) within three (3) years of obtaining CAS Cat C Coaching Certification, in between which your Cat C certification will be labelled as “Provisional” until both Cat A and B certifications are obtained
- You must go through an interview by the CAS panel for an evaluation of readiness to be credentialed for CAS Cat C Coaching Certification
If are eligible and would like to qualify for CAS Cat C Coaching Certification, do write in separately to email@example.com.
For all coaches who have obtained the CAS/IASF Coaching Course Level 1/2 certification previously issued by CAS, your certificates will be recognized and acknowledged as CAS Cat A Coaching Certification within its validity date.